Importance of a Consultation before Facial Plastic Surgery
June 1, 2015
Choosing a surgeon for facial plastic surgery is the first step towards a younger-looking you. It’s important to select a qualified specialist who is committed to your unique requirements. A good surgeon will consider your complete well-being for a successful outcome. This includes your overall health as well as details about your appearance.
Some important things to consider when selecting a cosmetic surgeon are:
- The physician’s qualifications
- Where the surgery will be done?
- Who will be the anesthesiologist?
- Who will oversee post-operative care?
- What are the results to expect?
Once you have selected a surgeon, there are several reasons why an in-depth consultation with your surgeon before facial plastic surgery is essential. It will give you the opportunity to gain trust in your surgeon, get answers to any questions or concerns you may have and put your mind at rest about the procedure. There are several things you can and should discuss during your consultation.
- The surgeon will be able to evaluate your current health condition to make sure you are ready for surgery.
- Your surgeon will explain each step of the procedure.
- You’ll gain realistic expectations and be able to discuss the results of the surgery and understand that facial plastic surgery is intended to improve your looks, not to create a perfect face.
- You’ll learn the risks involved. There are risks involved in any surgery, and you need to understand this, so you can give the surgeon informed consent.
- You’ll learn how to prepare in advance for your procedure. This may include quitting smoking several weeks before the surgery, stopping any painkillers such as aspirin or ibuprofen and not eating or drinking anything for a specified time before surgery. You can change your work schedule to accommodate your recovery time if applicable.
- You’ll learn about post-operative care during the recovery time.
Your surgeon will also determine if you are a good candidate for facial plastic surgery. If you have fine wrinkles, sun damaged skin, droopy areas, and bags under your eyes with deep creases, then you are most likely a good candidate. Plastic surgery is performed on people of all ages, and the condition of your skin is more of a factor than your age.
During your consultation, your surgeon should listen to your concerns and ask what you would like to have changed. The surgeon will discuss your goals and concerns and can help determine which treatments and procedures are right for you.
At Transformations Plastic Surgery, our medical team is led by Dr. Landon Pryor. At Transformations, patient comfort and safety are among our top priorities. We work with each patient individually to help create a customized plan that is tailored to his or her needs. We never try to sell you a procedure you don’t need, but we’ll work with you to ensure you get the results you want. Contact Transformations Plastic Surgery today to schedule your consultation and we’ll help you achieve your cosmetic and aesthetic goals.